Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Scripting Oedipus


INT. Church

TWO LARGE DOORS OPEN ONTO PLATFORM WHICH RUNS THE LENGTH OF THE FRONT OF THE BUILDING. THERE ARE TWO LARGE ALTERS ON EITHER SIDE OF THE PLATFORM. THREE STAIRS LEAD DOWN FROM THE PLATFORM INTO THE ORCHESTRA. THESE STEPS ARE LITTERED WITH PEOPLE OF THEBES. THEY ARE ALL IN DESPAIR AND SICK FROM THE PLAGUE. CITIZENS HAVE BROUGHT OLIVE BRANCHES TO THE CHURCH.
Starts with depth of field shot down long platform and focuses on the two large doors. they are both swung open and a sunlight rushes into the church. Oedipus enters and begins to speak.
OEDIPUS
(enters through the large doors. Sheech shot from low angle to show his power. sunlight peeks through church windows illuminating him)
(speak very loudly and authoritatively) My Children, generations of the living in the line of Kadmos, nursed at his ancient hearth:Why have you strewn yourself before these altars. Children, I would not have you speak through messengers and therefore I have come myself to hear you- I, Oedipus, who bear famous name. (He points to a priest) You, there, since you are the eldest in the company, speak for them all, tell me what preys upon you. Never doubt that I will help you in every way that I can.
PRIEST
(Priest is on the steps with all the suffering people. he stands and begins to speak. he is and old frail man. he speaks slowly and softly.) 
Great Oedipus, O powerful king of Thebes! You see how all the ages of our people cling to your altar steps:here are boys who can barely stand alone. Your own eyes must tell you:Thebes is tossed on a murdering sea and can not lift her head from the death surge.You are not one of the immortal gods, we know; yet we have come to you to make our prayer.You saved us from the sphinx, Therefore, o mighty king, we turn to you: find us safety, find us a remedy, whether by counsel of the gods or men.
OEDIPUS
(Low angle shot. sunlight illuminates him as he speaks. speaks very powerfully. very sympathetic for the suffering of his people)
Poor Children! You may be sure I know all that you longed for in your coming here. I know that you are deathly sick; and yet, sick as you are, not as sick as I. I was not sleeping, you are not waking me. No, i have been in tears for a long while and in my restless thought walked walked many ways. In all my search i have found one helpful course, and that i have taken: I have sent Creon, to Delphi, Apollo's place of revelation, to learn there, what act or pledge of mine may save the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment